Monday, March 16, 2009

When God Closes a Door...


When God closes a door, He opens a window. Or so goes the saying.


I'd say rather, when He says "no", it's because He has something even better in mind!
When my milk came in a few days after Savannah's birth, I thought I'd like to donate milk to the local milk bank, if there was one.
I checked the internet, and made some phone calls, and waited for someone to call me back. It turned out there was a milk "depot" in Madison, about an hour away. ( A drop off point for the actual milk "bank" which was in Ohio.)
So, the lady from Ohio eventually called me back and seemed very interested - until she started asking the screening questions. Everything went well until, "Have you ever lived outside the United States?"
Um, yes. My husband was in the Navy and we spent four years stationed in Sicily. Unfortunately it was during a certain period of time that made my milk unacceptable.
Apparently it's because of mad cow disease.
I researched it, and it turns out that although there is NO evidence that CJD (the human version of mad cow disease) is transmissable from mother to child through her milk - or any other way, there is a *theoretical* risk.
So because we lived in Europe during a time when I *might* have been exposed to mad cow disease,
even though I certainly don't have the disease
and even though I've had SIX babies since then who have thrived on my milk,
they couldn't accept it.
I cried. I'll admit it. :)
But then, my midwife "happened" to call
and she just "happened" to mention
that she just "happened" to be leaving the house of a dear lady
who just "happened" to have a 6 week old baby
and just "happened" to have recently found out that she (the mother) has breast cancer.
God said no to the milk bank, but said yes to something far better.
An opportunity to not only share my milk with someone in need but to get to know a dear, sweet lady -
shared faith -
mutual encouragement -
I've been praying for lots of milk for baby Gretta and God is providing.
This is my second week pumping. The first week, I got four little jars - two of them half full.
This week, it's 11 jars - one of them double size!!
God is so good!

16 comments:

  1. Found you via Jewels blog...bless your heart!! May our FATHER give you even more blessings for your generous heart!! I was a human "milk cow" too...and gave milk to friends when needed, but for you to do this, after all that has happened!! WOW! that is all I can say!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely amaze me Heidi. I never breast fed my children, but when I saw this picture with all of the jars of your milk, it really put into perspective how breast feeding is such a natural thing that God designed women for after bearing a child. God bless you for your generous, loving heart. His timing is always right, isn't it? God bless this dear, sweet lady and her baby that you are helping. My prayers are being said for them as well.

    Peace to you,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have a purpose brings such healing. God blesses us so when He calls us to give. What a generous woman you are. I am so touched by your open and seeking heart. You inspire me . . . I'm so blessed to be able to peek into this little window and watch a woman of God walk with Him. We all have paths that make us weary at times . . . our Father never gets tired. You remain in my prayers. Lord Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so wonderful, Heidi! What a wonderful triple blessing; for you, for her, and for baby Gretta.

    You are in my prayers!

    ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your strength and generosity are truly inspirational Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi thank you so much for sharing with us glimpse of your life. Your faith, stenght and generosity are such an inspiration and a blessing.
    God bless you dear !

    Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I don't think of it's really so selfless and generous. In some ways I think my need to do something positive out of this - and to maybe need to be needed - is totally selfISH. *I* am the one who is totally *blessed* in being able to get milk to Gretta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Heidi

    I've been following your story since reading it on Jewels 'Eyes of wonder'. At a time when you should be crying 'why me, why me!'you choose to give of yourself so unselfishly. What a great thing to do for another mother and child in need. It does my heart good to know there are people like you in the world. God bless you and yours.

    - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi you amaze me. YOUR Wonderful power and journey to take the time to pump milk and WOW what a wonderful place you have found for this milk. I think God was on the right track. I am so excited each and everyday to look into your blog and study your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are walking through my greatest fear; the loss of child (on either side of the womb). God is throughly shining through you showing His strength, His love, and His grace. Thank you for your testimony.


    PS I LOVE your kitchen. : )

    I pray for blessings of joy be showered upon you and your beautiful family,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi...you are amazing! What a blessing you are, your strength, your giving spirit..I am deeply touched by all you have been through. What an inspiration you are! My prayers are with you & your family! Keep the milk flowing! God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  12. this mother must be so much encourage by your way of sharing your milk.
    What a blessing for her and her baby. and what agood thing you can feel so good for something so precious in the midst of your sorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I mean this as a total compliment. . . that milk of your's looks amazingly rich!

    I'm in my 9th month of nursing twins, and I admit to being wearied by the nursing now. Your post here reminds me that it is a privilege to be able to nurse and to serve God's greater purposes for me as a mother.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, have been following your blog since coming over from Eyes of Wonder. I am sitting here with tears literally streaming down my face after reading this. At a time when no one would blame you for being lost in your own grief, you are giving such a beautiful and rare, selfless gift. Only Jesus!! It's just like something He would do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for allowing God to work through you and praising him in EVERYTHING!!!!
    blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very generous. Pumping can be hard. I've had to do it with my current baby, as I've had supply issues. Unfortunately, after having heart surgery and struggling with the pain of pumping (and dumping) to keep my milk going while in the hospital, I found out that because I had to take aspirin for the rest of my life due to having a new tissue valve, I not only couldn't breastfeed my two month old anymore, but any future babies as well. (Nice of them to tell me AFTER a week of pain from pumping.) So I can imagine how grateful the woman with cancer must be to have that milk. I hate giving my baby formula. But she's healthy and I know that's what's important.

    ReplyDelete